Sunday, January 3, 2010

Cross Processing in PSE

I use Photoshop Elements. Why? Well because I don't have beaucoups of dollahs to spend on CS anything, and I have everything I really need with PSE. I don't have curves, but I have a free plug in (SmartCurve) (note: my security software gives it a yellow rating, though I've not had any problems.) Layer masks can be done, and there are also actions that throw a mask on your layer (or you can use these bad boys: Grant's Tools.)

Now that that's out of the way lets get on with the learnin'.

Cross Processing reminds me of Amelie...so I automatically love it.

I'm going to be working on this photo. I've adjusted levels and flattened. At this point you would do things like remove blemishes, smooth skin, so on and so forth. This is my sweet baby boy and he needs none of that.

ss1

So now I'm going to use curves to get the tones I want in the photo.


(you can download my curve here, I'm pretty sure you can use this in the CS curves as well)

What it is a slight S curve on red and green channels (with a slightly larger curve for green) and blue is no curve, just move the top point down a smidge and the bottom point up a smidge, (very technical). Flatten.

ss2

I want this photo to be a little lighter, slightly blown out. Duplicate the layer (ctl + J) then set the blend mode to screen. Adjust the opacity if you lose detail. Flatten.

ss3

Next do a color fill layer, with color bcde02.

ss4

Set blend mode to color and lower the opacity (about 10%). Flatten.
ss5

Et voilĂ !



final wm

You could do some final fixes (sharpening, contrast boost, vignette, etc).

No comments:

Post a Comment