Monday, July 19, 2010

Black and White (with contrast)

When I first started getting serious about photography I wanted to make every photo black and white.  It's classic, it's timeless, it hides flaws like colors being off or being a smidge out of focus.  But I didn't know HOW to get a true black and white.  There's a big difference between black and white and grayscale (or just desaturated).  You don't want a gray image, you want darks and lights...blacks and whites.


bw conv 1

I'm starting out with this image.  It's been opened in Camera Raw, given a bit of exposure boost and then opened in the PSE editor.

Untitled-1

The next step is to make the image black and white, I do this by using a gradient map.  There's even a preset for black and white.  When you choose gradient map (which is in the Layer> Adjustment Layer>Gradient Map.) a dialog will pop up and you can choose the gradient, for this choose the one that says black and white when your mouse hovers over. It's the third box.


Untitled-2

So, there the picture is technically black and white, but it still looks a little gray.  I fix this by adding some more contrast, by means of curves.  I'm using the SmartCurve plug in on a stamp visible layer (alt+shift+e).  Just a slight s-curve and there's the contrast!


Untitled-4

It's actually a little too contrast-y for me and since it's on it's own layer I can bring down the opacity of the layer.


Untitled-5


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment